City of Independence
Senior Citizens and Community Center Director (part-time)
This is a highly skilled position responsible for directing the total operations of the Independence Senior Citizens and Community Center. Work is typically performed in an office setting, however, some walking, standing, lifting, pushing and pulling may be required. Work is performed under the administrative direction of the City Administrator.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Plans, organizes, directs and evaluates the operations and programs of the Independence Senior Citizens and Community Center
- Establishes and maintains effective working relationships with other city employees and officers, government agencies and the general public
- Serves as the city’s primary liaison to the Independence Senior Citizens and Community Center Advisory Board and the center’s constituency
- Assures that the center complies with federal, state and local laws, regulations and standards governing senior programs
- Serves as the center’s fundraising coordinator
- Researches, prepares and submits grant proposals
- Prepares agendas for and attends the meetings of the Independence Senior Citizens and Community Center Advisory Board
- Responsible for all aspects of coordinating the Saturday Farmers Market including work directly with vendors and help provide the best farmers market experience for attendees
- Manage all vendor applications, set up, as well as report results of Farmers Market participation
OTHER JOB DUTIES
Receives and responds to citizen inquiries and requests. Schedules center activities and maintains calendar of events. Develops and implements consistent center policies and procedures. Serves on various city committees as assigned by the City Administrator. Performs mathematical calculations in order to complete the administrative and financial tasks of the position. Oversees and manages the center budget. Assists the City Administrator in formulation of the center’s budget. Coordinates and evaluates center programs. Recruits center volunteers. Supervises volunteers, contractors and employees. Organizes and oversees fundraising activities. Prepares and delivers oral and written reports as requested. Plans for and recommends the purchase of equipment for the center. Provides information for monthly ISC newsletter. Makes recommendations for the maintenance of the center. Must be available Saturday mornings between May and October to monitor set-up and vendor needs. All other duties as assigned.
TRAINING & EXPERIENCE
Graduate of a four year college or university with a Bachelor of Arts in Social Work, Human Services or related field supplemented with on-the-job experience in senior services is preferred.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Individual must have an interest in serving older adults, supplemented by an extensive knowledge of geriatrics and event planning, with an emphasis on planning, implementation, execution, and evaluation of policies and programs.
- Thorough knowledge of federal, state and local laws, administrative regulations and ordinances relating to senior services and facility management.
- Ability to accurately perform mathematical calculations in order to complete the administrative tasks of the position.
- Ability to develop and administer the center’s budget proposal.
- Ability to accurately prepare and/or supervise the preparation of reports and forward as required on a timely basis.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other governments and agencies, city officers and employees, the center advisory board, contractors and the general public.
- Ability to recruit and elicit volunteer help.
- Ability to effectively oversee the supervision of volunteers, contractors and employees in center activities and recommend training as needed.
- Knowledge regarding the use and application of modern office machines, such as computers, is required.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office products is preferred.
- Must possess excellent interpersonal communication skills, must possess excellent writing skills and must possess a valid driver’s license.
Must be bondable.