POSITION TITLE: Programs & Communications Coordinator
DEPARTMENT: Administration/Recreation Departments
REPORTS TO: City Administrative Officer
Job Summary: Responsible for the implementation of the City’s recreation program, coordination of special events, and management of internal and external communication.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- Develop and implement a communications strategy including objectives outlined by Mayor, City Council and the City Administrator from the City to the Community.
- This position will also assist the Mayor and/or City Administrator as requested and provide assistance, as assigned, to departments to ensure the City’s goals and objectives are achieved in a timely and professional manner.
- Contact and interaction with city residents, businesses owners, department personnel and public officials is an aspect of this position. This employee will be required to perform other related duties at the direction of the Mayor and/or City Administrator.
- Implement media strategies for the advertisement of city events;
- Develop and manage the City website, monthly e-newsletter and other social media outlets;
- Maintain contact with both the business/residential community to exchange information to ensure their needs are being fulfilled;
- Conducts outreach and community engagement, representing the City on official business, and establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with community organizations, other local government agencies and departments, and the general public;
- Coordinate and respond to citizen complaints and inquiries.
- Plans, coordinates, and schedules city recreational activities, classes, and programs;
- Assists in, and supervises city recreational programs and is hands on with instructional and officiating duties;
- Promotes recreational and community programs through social media, advertisements, flyers, coordination with media outlets etc.;
- Coordinates recreational and community activities with other community groups and organizations such as businesses, churches and schools;
- Prepares yearly budget for recreation program in coordination with CAO;
- Provides updates at City Council meetings;
- Prepares an annual report listing all recreation activities for the year along with participation numbers and presents to city council;
- Evaluates programs on an on-going basis for community interest and develops new ones as needed.
- Maintains a strong base of volunteers to assist with larger community events.
- Plans, coordinates and implements other employee/community events as needed.
- Obtain sponsorships for events by coordinating with local businesses and residents.
- Organize Business Breakfast and employee events
- Plans for and purchases necessary supplies and equipment for the recreational and community programs; Oversees the proper maintenance and inventory of all recreational and community program equipment;
- Oversees the safe care, operation, and maintenance of all equipment and facilities used by recreation department;
Training and Experience
Graduation from a four year college with a degree in communications, public relations, recreation/physical education or related field, supplemented by experience in communications, public relations, recreation/program management with some supervisory experience; or any combination of training and experience which provides the desired knowledge, skills, and abilities. Past experience in managing communication and/or recreation programs for other cities will be given additional consideration. CPR and First Aid Certification is desired.
Ability and willingness to work flexible work schedule; Possess a valid motor vehicle operator license; Strong knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel; Be open to new ideas and have the innovation to identify and design new programs; Knowledge of life-safety issues related to recreation programs; Ability to maintain effective working
relationships with fellow department heads, city officials and other organizations; Ability to deal tactfully and responsively to changes in programming due to weather in the last minute; Ability to deal courteously with the general public.
Special Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Knowledge and applicability of community communication as well as recreation work and administration; Knowledge of budget principles; Ability to develop and implement well-rounded communication strategies and recreational and community programs; Ability to supervise several volunteers and workers engaged in varied tasks simultaneously; Ability to safely operate and maintain all departmental equipment, and to train others in the same; Ability to prepare written reports accurately; Ability to effectively promote recreational and community programs; Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions; Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other city agencies and departments, city officers and employees, and the general public; experience managing a website and multiple social media platforms; Working knowledge of photographic and video recording equipment and the ability to edit photo and video content for electronic distribution.
Position type/expected hours of work
This is a full-time hourly (non-exempt) position. Attendance at evening, weekends and/or holidays is required when activities fall on those days. Hours in the office are to be adjusted to accommodate evening events and are not to exceed 40 without prior authorization from the City Administrator.
SALARY: Salary range is $15 -$25 /hour depending on qualifications and experience.
The description listed above is intended to present a descriptive list of the general content of and range of duties performed by employees in this position. Specifications are not construed to be and exhaustive list or reflect all duties performed by and requirements of the position. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.