The Northern Kentucky Workforce Investment Board (NKWIB) was selected by the Kentucky Education and Workforce Development Cabinet to receive funding to administer two innovated talent pipeline development programs;
- Spanning the Gap, a 1-year pilot targeting underserved and ‘at-risk’ populations, to assist in building their skills and gaining self-sustaining employment.
- Medicaid Pilot program, a 120-day pilot to provide case management, placement and record-keeping required to execute the community engagement, training and employment services described in Kentucky’s proposed Medicaid transformation.
Working with underserved populations to identify strengths and barriers, staff assists clients through the difficult task of building their skill base and expanding their marketability through resume assistance, labor market information, workshops and one on one support.
Northern Kentucky is experiencing remarkable job growth. Due to the high demand for skilled workers in the local labor market, the NKWIB understands the importance of looking beyond traditional employment avenues to meet employers’ workforce demand, drawing upon non-traditional and underserved populations in the local talent pipeline expands the available workforce in our current labor market.
The 2017 Northern Kentucky Senior Expo will take place on Thursday, August 17, from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. at Newport on the Levee (Gallery area) in Newport, Kentucky. Sponsored by the Northern Kentucky Area Development District/Area Agency on Aging and Independent Living and St. Elizabeth Healthcare, this year marks the Senior Expo’s 23rd anniversary.
Service information, health screenings, door prizes, giveaways, and live entertainment will be featured at this community-wide event. The St. Elizabeth CardioVascular Mobile Health Unit will also be onsite during the Expo to offer services to attendees. New activities this year include Chair Volleyball and Chair Yoga presented by the R. C. Durr YMCA. Enjoy Live Entertainment with the Chris Comer Trio! There will also be a photo booth at the event provided by Waltz Photography, free to all attendees.
Senior Expo features free admission and it is an indoor, air-conditioned and wheelchair accessible event. For more information, please call 859-283-1885.
Established in 1971, The Northern Kentucky Area Development District is the federally designated Area Agency on Aging and Independent Living for the northern eight county region of Kentucky. As such, NKADD/AAAIL works to develop and coordinate comprehensive services for older Northern Kentuckians to assist them in continuing to lead meaningful, independent and dignified lives. Information concerning services available for Northern Kentucky’s senior adults can be accessed by calling 859-692-2480 or toll free at 866-766-2372.
Toward a Sustainable Kentucky (TASK) VISTA:
Heroin Impact Response Task Force VISTA
AmeriCorps Project Description: Kentucky Campus Compact (KyCC) is a statewide coalition of Kentucky colleges and universities, promoting college access, college attainment, and community impact. The KyCC Toward a Sustainable Kentucky (TASK) VISTA program place VISTA members throughout the Commonwealth to combat poverty and build capacity in community organizations, Kentucky colleges and universities, the Shaping Our Appalachian Region (SOAR) and the Kentucky Promise Zone. TASK achieves its anti-poverty goals through service activities in the following focus areas: Economic Opportunity, Education, Healthy Futures, Veteran and Military Families.
VISTA Position Description: The Heroin Impact Response Task Force VISTA member will work on increasing capacity within an eight-county region of NKY, with a focus on program design and implementation. This position will require confidence in research and strategic analysis for the purposes of developing a comprehensive, integrated system of care. This will be accomplished by strengthening the current resource network to ensure there are limited barriers for folks entering treatment, and/or recovery for those directly or indirectly affected by the opioid epidemic. The VISTA will be responsible for working well with internal and external partners, analysis of current data and systems for the purposes of program design, extensive research, and documentation.
Qualifications/Preferred Requirements: AmeriCorps VISTA is open to all U.S. citizens, nationals, or lawful permanent resident aliens age 18 and older.
Some college experience (bachelor’s degree preferred) with independent working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite programs (Excel, PowerPoint, and Word) interest in social change, community development, urban studies, addiction, treatment and recovery as well as successful in the following attributes:
- Professional presentation with flexibility in schedule to accommodate community meeting schedules.
- Outstanding customer service skills, proven time management skills and attention to detail with administrative tasks.
- The ideal candidate takes direction well with excellent follow through, shows initiative for the next task and is curious in system or process integration.
- Experience with non-profits, vulnerable populations and volunteers or personal volunteer service preferred.
Candidate Paperwork Completion Deadline
Pre-Service Orientation Dates
First Day of Service
July 27, 2017
August 28, 2017
August 28, 2017
VISTA Terms & Benefits:
- VISTA service is a full-time (40 hours/week), one-year (12 months) commitment.
- Receive a monthly living allowance of $990 per month ($11,880/year) before taxes – paid for by the Corporation for National and Community Service.
- Upon completion, VISTAs will receive an education award ($5,800) or cash award ($1,500).
- Federal student loans may be forbearance or deferred during year of service.
- Eligible to receive healthcare benefits and allowances during service.
- Permitted 10 vacation and 10 sick days during service term.
- Relocation reimbursement (must be relocating 50 miles or more for service; $1,500 value)
- Access to additional professional development and training opportunities!
- If eligible, may receive childcare assistance (up to $400).